Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Owned.

"I have no interest in being purchased," said Edward. 

The doll gasped. "You don't want somebody to buy you?" she said. "You don't want to be owned by a little girl who loves you?"

Sarah Ruth! Abilene! Their names went through Edward's head like the notes of a sad, sweet song. 

"I have already been loved," said Edward. "I have been loved by a girl named Abilene. I have been loved by a fisherman and his wife and a hobo and his dog. I have been loved by a boy who played the harmonica and by a girl who died. Don't talk to me about love," he said. 

"I have known love."

-Kate DiCamillo
Chapter XXVI, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, feelings, ideas, suggestions, and requests here. We'd be more than happy to hear you out.